Friday, October 15, 2010

Rapid Fire Hunter's Star Class

This post is just a tiny bit overdue as the class was nearly a week ago.  I haven't taken pictures of the one block that I finished in class because it's been a helluva long week (stoopid day job).  The class was mostly fabulous, with a few glitches.  First, Kara and I both loved the "board" that the instructor created.  She essentially created a large poster on a tri-fold display board to illustrate all the steps.  She used thumb-tacks to attach real fabric examples that could easily be removed and examined as she explained the process.  That was truly inspired and quite awesome.  My fanny became a bit chapped, though, as she walked us through the first fabric cut and had all three of us cut the wrong size strips out of two fabrics.  Of course, had she instructed us to cut 2.25" strips when we needed 1.75" rather than the other way 'round, then we would have wasted far less fabric.  As it was, I had to go back to Sew Sassy the next day to buy another 1/4" yard of two fabrics.  I guess I can only really blame her for half the fabric waste, as I decided to cut four, rather than two, strips to avoid re-straightening my fabric after I got home.  I'm just glad I didn't cut more!  The second thing that irked was her criticism of my fabric choices, although she was respectful; having just given us the wrong instruction and wasted our fabric, perhaps she should have thought twice about telling me I didn't have enough contrast and needed lighter colors to "pop" the stars.  And at least she admitted she was wrong, after I had the first square assembled.  The other thing that sucked was Kara not feeling well half-way through and needing to ditch early.  I missed my quilting buddy for the second half!  I thought I was going to get the whole quilt top done last weekend with Columbus Day, but between laundry and errands, the time just slipped through my fingers.  I did finish all the strip initial cutting and sub-cutting for the first Hunter's Star quilt.

After a quick glance at the calendar and realization of how few weekends there are between now and Christmas, I decided to stall out the Hunter's Star #1 quilt to get back to x-mas prezzie quilting, so I got the first 8 rows of Amish Steps #1 sewn together tonight.  I'm not sure if I'll get it finished by Sunday or not when Kara and I have tentatively planned some basting, but I do have Arcadia #1 to layer & baste, and that might be all I can handle as the dining room table isn't quite high enough for me to baste comfortably.  There are worse things, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment