Sunday, October 3, 2010

Arcadia 1 Update

I just finished piecing the top for Arcadia 1.  I still need to piece the backing, which is a really cool tea-dyed fabric (but alas, not a wide-bolt tea-dyed fabric, but we can't have everything).  Oh, and I need to piece the binding strips together.  I really liked the piecing on this quilt, especially the explicit pressing instructions that guided me without fail through all but the last few seams.  I'm not sure why the pattern author didn't continue with the best pressing for joining the squares into row or for joining the rows.  I was surprised to find that the instructions asked me to cut two extra width-of-fabric sashing strips (I guess I might have needed at least one of them for fabric with more shrinkage), but then I also had not one, but two extra strips for the outer border; at 6" wide, that's a third of a yard.  I'd mind having bought that extra fabric a little less if it weren't cut, but there are worse things.

Paging Kara to the layering & basting station!

Oh, and here are some pictures of the top:


From Arcadia


From Arcadia


From Arcadia


From Arcadia

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Matthew - is this the Civil War material that I sat by your side and watched (helped??) you pick out for like forever? It really turned out nice. I really like all the different shaped squares in it.

    ReplyDelete