Sunday, October 24, 2010

Binding Join Tutorial, As Promised

A blog post or two back, I expressed how pleased I was with my technique for joining the beginning and end of the binding strips when attaching them to the quilt, and because kara hates that part, I promised I would take pictures the next time I attached a binding strip to create a tutorial for my technique.  Plus, I can bookmark this blog post in my browser for next time so I don't have to twist my brain into knots trying to figure out which way to lay the fabric, etc...  So here it is.  These instructions assume that you have started sewing the binding strip in the middle of one side rather than at a corner and that the first 8 to 12" and last 8 to 12" of binding strip have not been stitched down (but these instructions are ubiquitous).

1. Fold back the end of the beginning of the binding strip to a 45 ° angle and press to create a seam guide for later.  Unfold the strip and lay it out flat again.
Lay the end of the binding strip out flat against the edge of the quilt; then lay the beginning of the binding strip out flat against the edge of the quilt on top of the end of the strip. Mark the edge of the beginning of the binding strip by chalking a line on the end of the binding strip.
Measure the binding strip width (for this quilt, it was 2½" and draw a second line to the left of the first (thus, the second line is closer to the end of the binding strip rather than closer to the stitching).
Bring the end of the binding strip forward; open the strip, and lay it out flat with the right side up, which will show the two lines chalked. Open the beginning of the binding strip; bring it forward at a 90° angle to the end of the binding strip; and lay it out on top with the right side down between the chalked lines. Finally, pin the strips into position. I should have used colored pin-heads because the white ones don't show up in this picture very well.
The press line indicates where the seam should be sewn on the 45° angle. Fortunately, this picture shows the pins a little better.
Before trimming the excess binding strip fabric, fold the strip in and pull the quilt taunt to check the length. If the binding strip and quilt do not lie flat together at an even tension, pull out the seam and start over.
After confirming the length is correct, trim the excess fabric from the ends of the binding strip at ¼".
Press the seam flat.
Re-fold the binding strip and re-press.
Align the binding strip along the edge of the quilt and stitch in place.  

2 comments:

  1. How hard would it be to make this easily printable???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Matthew - I'm like Kara and simply HATE joining the binding. I'll be sure to look up your tutorial next time!!!!

    ReplyDelete