Sunday, October 17, 2010

Layer and Baste-a-thon Excitement

I'm completely stoked that Kara is coming over tonight to layer and baste:  three quilts worth, I think, or it is four.  Are we insane?  Perhaps.  I spent the morning and early afternoon putting borders on Amish Steps #1, and then the late afternoon was spent ironing backing fabric and joining two pieces of standard width cloth for the backing for Arcadia #1.  That backing fabric was really horrifying to press because it was tea-dyed (really cool effect and awesome color as the recipient as a tea aficionado; but, the damned patterns (subtle as they may be) look like wrinkles in the cloth.  So I just looked at the TV and did it by feel (more about the TV in a minute).

Having all the prep work done (except moving the dining room chairs), I spent about 40 minutes putting some more triangles together for Hunter's Star #1 (a birthday quilt, so lower priority, despite the birthday being in the first part of the year).  I had enough to start playing with layout, so now I've settled on the background fabric making squares on point, but I have to decide which ones will make whole squares only and which will be split to go up against the back ground.  Consider these two layouts and that I want the green border fabric to be on the inside, with the blue on the outside.  Grant likes the paisley on the outside, and I think I agree with him, especially with the blue border on the outside.  Have an opinion?  Drop a comment and let me know what you think.

Layout One: Blue Squares Outside


From Hunter's Star


From Hunter's Star



Layout Two: Paisley Squares Outside

No comments:

Post a Comment