Sunday, August 1, 2010

Surprise Spoiled

At times, I can be really impatient with surprises.  Kara and I got together to shop for a joint quilt project for a dear friend who needs a little "pick-me-up" present, especially a snuggly one.  And, we decided that Kara would cut & piece the top; we'd layer & baste together; and I'd machine quilt the straight-line quilting, although perhaps I'll get some more practice in with free-hand work on the machine.  But that's not the spoiled surprise.

During the course of our shopping and me deciding what to work on last night, I finally just spilled the beans, because I wanted to start cutting strips for a "happy colors" knitting bag for Kara.  I'd been surreptitious pumping her for details about which bag she liked, what configuration of pockets, etc..., but I just really wanted to start that project, and by spilling the beans, Kara got to provide some important input, things I wouldn't have thought of, like not putting the bright yellows on the outside pockets where the dirt will show.

Although I was initially planning on random color sequencing, symmetry won out (as it often does with me), as you can tell in this photo.

From Bags
I neglected to show the happy green floral print for the lower border or the cosmic orange marble for the upper border.  In addition, the lining will be a turquoise batik with yellow stripe and green stripe inside pockets.  I think I'll use the batik for the handles (or perhaps the green lower border color).

No comments:

Post a Comment