Monday, August 23, 2010

Zen, Irish Chain, and Amish Steps

Saturday evening, I finished up the machine quilting on the Irish Chain quilt Kara and I are working on together for a dear friend.  On Saturday, Kara rescued me from an interminable wait at Best Buy getting a Sirius satellite radio installed & passed along the binding strips.  Saturday night, I got the binding strips mitered together & sewed on.  Sunday, I passed the quilt off to Kara (who did the piecing on the quilt top) for hand-quilting in the center squares; she got that done on Sunday, and today she's already gotten one round of blind-stitching done on the binding.  Yay!

On Saturday, I also got the border added to my Zen quilt.  The pattern doesn't call for a border, but I found the perfect fabric to tie all the others together, and the general consensus around here is that the border really gives it a sense of being finished off.  I think if I'd selected one of the marbled batiks to bind with, and then made certain not to use that fabric on any of the blocks on the edge, then I would have been happy without the border.  Now I can hardly wait to get it layered, basted, and quilted.

Yesterday, I got strips cut from 24 batiks for the two Amish Steps quilts that I'm tackling next.  I still need to cut the main step colors for each (one will use a single main step color, and the other will use two main step colors), as well as the borders and binding strips.  Oh, and I have to piece the backing for one of them.

Oh, and let's not forget that I'm back in the classroom tomorrow (actually, I'm quite ready to go back, except for the dent in my quilting time).  Note to Kara:  get ready to take over principal blogging responsibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment