Saturday, July 31, 2010

Quilt #0002 Update

Yay, I finished all the machine work on Quilt #0002!  I just finished attaching the binding strip all the way around, and I'm here to tell you, figuring out how to measure and lay out the beginning and ending of the strip to seam them on the bias is not so entertaining at 1am.  It's much easier (and more fun) when one is a bit more rested.

Also, just for archival purposes and to satiate my obsessive side, I want to note here that I just started the second spool of Yli Machine Quilting Thread (500 yards).  I also got into the second spool of thread for Karen's quilt and bag, but I didn't break into the second until the bag.  I'm a bit chagrined that I didn't keep track of how many bobbins I wound on Karen's quilt, but on #0002 (for Grant), I started out winding 2, somehow thinking that would be plenty.  I ended up using 6 bobbins (although I haven't checked to see how much of the sixth bobbin is remaining.

I also want to keep a record of a stunningly helpful tidbit I picked up browsing a book today.  To keep the bobbin thread for getting tangled under the quilt when starting in the middle (where you can just pull it to the back), one simply needs to work a single stitch and then pull on the top thread to raise the bobbin thread through the quilt to the top where it can be dragged out of the way.  Awesome tip, but I wish I could remember which book I was perusing so I could give credit where credit is due.

I'm dead tired, so it's off to bed with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment