Saturday, September 4, 2010

Big boards rock!

I've been growing increasing frustrated pressing bolt fabrics on a standard ironing board; I just hate that tapered end and not having a rectangular surface to do my pressing on.  Kara and I looked at a few options at Ikea, but nothing was quite right.

So, whilst browsing the aisles at Target, I found two microwave carts that would be about the right size placed end-to-end.  Then I got a 16" by 48" Aspen board at Menards to go on top, but my idea about using zip-ties to hold the two carts together didn't work out so well because the castor wheels were too close together and couldn't rotate 360°.  I got a couple of carriage bolts and some 1" PVC pipe, though, and bolted the two carts together quite well.  I also made a fabric cover (two layers of cotton with cotton batting between), and it works like a dream.  I shifted a few things around in the quilting room, and the pressing station can be pulled out for pressing or parked next to the sewing table to support unrolled quilts while machine quilting.


From Quilting Room


From Quilting Room


From Quilting Room

I'm also excited that Kara's coming over tonight to help me baste Zen; we had to ditch that idea last night for two reasons:  (1) Kara's neck & back were bugging her, and she wasn't going to be able to do much but help me flip layers and tell me to baste faster and (2) I wasn't going to be doing anything until after I had my big board assembled.  Oh right, I need to stop blogging and go press the backing fabric for tonight!  Well, maybe I'll sew a few rows of Amish Steps #1 first...

No comments:

Post a Comment