Friday, July 30, 2010

Well, that was stoopid

It's been two hours, and I still haven't stopped swearing at myself.  Grant's quilt has been coming along nicely; I was really in a groove filling in the short lines within each block of the split-rail fence pattern, stitching in the ditch like nobody's business.  I took a short break for dinner, but not without first folding up the blessed quilt.  Have you guessed it yet?  After dinner, I drew in my initials and the year for the beginning of my free-hand work, quilted the 2010 digits, and then paused before starting my initials to readjust the quilt in my lap and the work table.  And that's when the sweater began as I realized I had not quite unfolded the quilt all the way and had stitched "2010" through the bottom border AND the top border!  Fluff me sideways!  Just for the record, really nice, tight, even free-hand stitches are a nasty bitch to rip out, and I was sorely tempted to just keep going with the fold-over and turn it into a sleeping bag.  Sigh...

The good news is that the stippling in the border went extremely well, and once I again I must pause to allow myself the proper interval of time in which to be consumed with my own fabulousness.  I know stippling and meandering are some of the easiest free-hand techniques, but damn it's fun to do.  Okay, one last sprint to make binding strips and sew them on.  But rather than start the blind-stitch hem on the reverse right away, I may save that up to work on while Grant is in the hospital because it will be portable at that point.  This strategy would let me get started on a knitting bag, which has been consuming my imagination for several days now... but first the binding strips.

No comments:

Post a Comment